Re: [htdig] Target Tag Matching

Subject: Re: [htdig] Target Tag Matching
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 19:18:54 PDT

At 4:16 PM -0700 7/24/00, Jeff Mandel wrote:
>There are folks here that use target tags like keywords. Is there a way
>to extract those words from a target tag and maybe even weight them?
>
>html source would look like this:
><h3><a NAME="Reactive Dye Monitoring Dinosaur"></a>Monitoring</h3>

There are much better ways to do this using the HTML spec. The anchor
tag is intended for jumping to specific places on a page and this is
how ht://Dig treats it.

You could certainly hack the HTML parser to add these words to the
database (see HTML.cc, specifically the TITLE attribute. It's not
used by ht://Dig directly yet, but it will be.

>Besides having them manually add a keyword list to the documents, any
>suggestions?

A META keyword list is going to be the most widely accepted way of
adding keywords. It's used by almost every search engine and spider
in existence (obviously including htdig). Beyond that, I'd say to
stick to the spec.