[htdig] Update search indexes?

Subject: [htdig] Update search indexes?
From: David Gibbs (david@midrange.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 17:25:09 PDT

Ok, this question might be quite basic ... but I couldn't find anything in
the FAQ that addressed it specifically.

I'm in the process of seting up a web archive of a number of mailing lists
I run, with htdig as the search engine.

When I ran 'rundig' against the archive to create the initial database it
took quite a long time (~6 hours on a P2 300 & 64mb of RAM.

When I update the archive & re-run the 'dig', it seems to take a long time
also.

I am running it with the '-a' flag, so it doesn't blow away the current
files ... but I was wondering if there is a way I can make the database
file creation run faster?

Would more memory effect the processing significantly? Maybe more
disk? (got 6gb now). Is there a mode of operation where it only looks at
changed pages for indexing?

Thanks!

david