Re: AW: [htdig] Fw: &amp in Titles

Subject: Re: AW: [htdig] Fw: & in Titles
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 10:06:43 PDT

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> At 3:51 PM -0500 7/7/00, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> >In 3.2, these troublesome attributes have been removed, so the entities
> >are always translated. What's really puzzling is that Roger Salisbury
> >has reported the same behaviour in 3.2. I can't imagine how that could
> >happen unless his database was built with an earlier development snapshot
> >of 3.2, before the removal of translate_amp.
>
> That would have to be an absolutely *ancient* version of 3.2, dating
> from the first branch after 3.1.0. Almost the first thing I did in
> 3.2 was to start writing the new SGML encoding procedures. They
> weren't turned on immediately, but still... It's also fairly easy to
> determine the version by using the -? option to get help on the
> command-line utils.

That they weren't turned on is the main issue, though. It turns out that
you didn't scrap the translate_* attributes, and fix HtSGMLCodec.cc to
always translate " & < and > until Feb 12, after 3.2.0b1
was released, so if Roger built his database with 3.2.0b1, without
explicitly turning on the translate_* attributes, and hasn't rebuilt it
since, then his database would include the untranslated SGML entities
in the excerpts, regardless of the version he's currently running.