Re: [htdig] Problem with CGI

Subject: Re: [htdig] Problem with CGI
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 16:19:56 PDT

At 9:52 AM -0400 7/11/00, gil cohen wrote:
>I don't think SSL support has been put in, nor will it ever. The
>thing I'm waiting for is multithreading.

As Gilles mentioned, the problem with SSL is one of patent problems
and export restrictions. Since this is an international community, it
makes it a bit hard to do certain things. Certainly when the RSA
patent expires in the U.S. in September, I believe life will be a bit
easier. AFAIK at the moment, code even with *hooks* to an SSL library
like OpenSSL would no longer fulfill the GPL in the U.S. since it
would have unnecessary restrictions due to the patent.

Then again, I'm not a legal expert by any means.

However, in the 3.2 code there is support for "external transport
scripts" so you can write a short script to grab a page based on a
URL. This can be used to retrieve HTTPS pages and I have tested this
approach with the program curl.

As far as multithreading, unless someone offers to do it, we'll be
waiting quite some time. It's certainly not on my TODO list since I
don't have the expertise to even know where to start.