Re: [htdig] htsearch causes ISE but not if exec'd manually

Subject: Re: [htdig] htsearch causes ISE but not if exec'd manually
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 16:00:59 PDT

At 2:21 PM +0200 7/4/00, Andreas Hudzieczek wrote:
>I solved the problem by setting the varible "value" to "" instead of
>to "htdig" in the sample search form.

Since an empty value is replaced by the default (htdig here), this
won't make much of a difference unless there's a typo somewhere.

>Now I can call it through HTML form and it only takes 2 or 3 seconds longer.
>I still find it interesting that calling htsearch from the command
>line is yet so much faster.

It's pretty easy to explain. Even if you're running it through your
own computer, the CGI has to go through the webserver, which then
does some additional parsing before it "runs the command line" and
then minimal processing afterwards.

CGI will always be slower than command-line unless the CGI is persistent.