Re: [htdig] Automatic Building/Updating of Indexes

Subject: Re: [htdig] Automatic Building/Updating of Indexes
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 13:15:42 PDT

According to Susan Richards:
> Does htdig/merge automatically build and update the database indexes,
> or is manual intervention required?

That depends on how automatic you want it, and how well structured
your web site is. In most cases, the only manual intervention needed,
after installing htdig and building the initial database, is deciding
how frequently to update the database or reindex, and either manually
starting the process when desired or setting up a cron job to do it.

I have a small site of around 500 or so pages, and I reindex nightly
from a cron job, with no manual intervention needed at all, other than
bumping up max_doc_size on a couple occasions to handle large PDFs.

For larger or not very well structured sites, you may need to oversee the
indexing runs to make sure it doesn't get caught up where it shouldn't,
and doesn't miss whole sections that you want it to index, and tweak
your exclude lists to correct such problems.