Re: [htdig] htsearch finds pdf file and then stalls

Subject: Re: [htdig] htsearch finds pdf file and then stalls
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 12:18:32 PDT

According to Adam H. Lewenberg:
> If htsearch finds a pdf file it displays the link of the first
> file it finds but then it appears to be attempting to create an
> excerpt. The indicator on my web browser indicate that it is loading
> hundreds of K of data but nothing appears.

htsearch limits excerpts to the length specified by excerpt_length,
300 by default, so it seems unlikely it would be sending hundreds of
kilobytes to the browser. You should try running htsearch from the
command line with the same query to get a better idea of what's going on.
You may have stumbled onto a bug in htsearch that hasn't come up before,
or it may be a corrupt database or something else going on.

> What is going on? Can I turn off the excerpting of pdf files?

You could set up htsearch to use a custom template that omits the excerpt,
and use that template for .pdf files using the template_patterns
attribute, but that may be a lot of work for nothing if this isn't
really the source of the problem. Try to rule out the more likely
problems first.

> Using: Linux (RedHat 6.2)

If you installed htdig from an RPM, which one did you use? Did you
check the README file on the web site to make sure you had the right one?
If you're running the glibc21 version, or you rebuilt it from the source,
then it pretty much rules out a platform-specific problem or a wrong
RPM, but perhaps there's a database problem - you may need to rebuild
your database from scratch. If the problem persists, you'll have to
dig deeper, e.g. to see if the problem is with a specific PDF file.