Re: [htdig] htdig & databases?

Subject: Re: [htdig] htdig & databases?
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 15:14:18 PDT

According to Jef P. Anderson:
> I'm working on a site that is pulled dynamically from a database(mySQL) and has
> huge chunks of test in a field (HOWTO documentation)
> Can htdig search a specific set of fields in a db for text? or is it just
> limited to plain text & html?

Well, for starters, htdig will not access your DB directly, but through
a CGI interface to it. htdig indexes web pages, and has little concept
of individual fields in pages, other than singling out meta keywords
and meta description tags. Depending on how your CGI structures its
output, it may be possible to isolate what you want in a meta tag,
and configure htdig to only assign any weight to words in such tags, by
setting keywords_factor or meta_description_factor to non-zero, and all
other *_factor attributes to 0. That would let you index that particular
field. Beyond that, you have very little control. There are plans to
add capabilities in 3.2 to single out multiple meta tags as separate
fields, which could be selected at search time. It's not there yet.