RE: [htdig] search for word fragments

Subject: RE: [htdig] search for word fragments
From: Tim Leggett (tleggett@msi-world.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 12:55:13 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Torsten Neuer [mailto:tneuer@inwise.de]
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2000 12:20 PM

Tim Leggett wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> is there a way to allow searches for parts of words? not the fuzzy
> prefix/suffix searches, but fragments. for example, my search of the
> htdig.org site for 'Gil' returned no matches for 'Gilles'. Being a lazy
> typist, I want to be able to search for, say, 'meta' and have the search
> return docs that include 'metapath' (name of my company).

With Ht://Dig this is called "prefix matching". However, you need to
tell
htsearch that the expression is used for prefix search. By default this
is done by typing "some*" (which then should result in something,
somewhat etc).

[tleg]
thank you. I didn't understand what this term meant in htsearch's context.
Turns out that prefix is not a value for our search_algorithm parameter-yet.
Any suggestions on what weight I should assign? We have:
search_algorithm: exact:1 synonyms:0.5 endings:0.1

For more information, refer to the documentation:

        http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#search_algorithm
        http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#prefix_match_character