Re: [htdig] Error 405 (Method Not Allowed)

Subject: Re: [htdig] Error 405 (Method Not Allowed)
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 09:59:55 PDT

According to alan:
> when the nph value is set to false does that mean that both GET and POST methods
> are diabled?

No, these things are almost completely unrelated. One deals with CGI
input, and the other with CGI output.

Whether GET and POST methods are allowed is a function of how the web
server is configured, and how it expects the browser to pass input data
to a CGI program. To send data from an input form (e.g. the one in
search.html), the web server must allow either GET or POST (or both)
methods to access the CGI program, and the input form must select a
method that the server allows.

The nph issue is one of htsearch's own configuration, and is a function
of how the web server parses (or doesn't parse) CGI headers that the
CGI program sends as output back to the browser. If the web server
doesn't parse the CGI program's headers, and doesn't add any headers
to its output, then the CGI program must be configured as a NPH
(non-parsed header) program, and must output a complete set of HTTP
headers. Minimally, this includes the "HTTP/1.0 200 OK" header and the

Generally with Unix-based servers like Apache, CGI headers are parsed
unless the program name begins with "nph-". I don't remember if there
are specific entries in the server configuration file to designate
which scripts are nph and which aren't, of if it just goes by file
name. For IIS servers, Matthew Daniel reported in December that they
must use non-parsed header CGIs. He posted a patch to the bug database
to add the nph attribute, which made its way into 3.1.5.