Re: [htdig] Error 405 (Method Not Allowed)

Subject: Re: [htdig] Error 405 (Method Not Allowed)
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 08:10:19 PDT

According to Brandon W. Uhlman:
> Error 405, Method Not Allowed, is displayed, when I call htsearch.exe
> from a webpage. I've already read all the related messages I could find
> in the archives to no avail, as they all relate to Unix installations,
> and I am running it on an NT server.
>
> In fact, I only got it to compile cleanly today, after many hours of
> drunken ranting about Cygwin... or not. Actually, I'm under the legal
> drinking age. :-)
>
> Like I say, I'm running Windows NT Server 4 (SP5a, I think), IIS4, the
> latest releases of ActivePerl and PHP.

OK, I'd start by making sure the IIS server is set up to allow running
CGI scripts from the directory in which you've placed the htsearch.exe.
If other CGI scripts in the same directory give the same error, that's
a good indication of a server configuration problem. If I recall,
IIS expects all CGI scripts to emit full headers, as non-parsed-header
(nph) scripts do, so you'll probably need to set the nph attribute in
your config file to true. I don't know what else to suggest, given
my unfamiliarity with NT. Perhaps others on the list with NT know-how
could shed more light.