Re: [htdig] Logging htdig

Subject: Re: [htdig] Logging htdig
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 07:20:36 PDT

According to Abdul Jabbar:
> i hope someone can help me. I am currentley running Htdig which indexes a
> couple of sites on the first day of every month via crontab ( i run it with
> the -a option so people can still use the search). What i would also like to
> do is for htdig to pump out a logged file telling me that it has finished
> indexing the sites is there anyway this can be done after htdig has been
> executed by the crontab?.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by pumping out a log file, but you
can certainly add commands to the shell script that runs htdig, so that
when htdig (or htmerge) is finished, it writes out a log file entry
somewhere to indicate this. Exactly how you'd do this would depend on
exactly what sort of log entry you had in mind. A simple example would
be something like:

        echo "`date`: htdig finished indexing" >> /var/log/htdig.log

> By the way can anyone if the Max_no_of_hops comman is any good?. Thanks for
> your help

If you mean the max_hop_count attribute in the configuration file,
then yes, it does work. There were problems in earlier releases, during
update digs (without -i option), in that htdig would get confused about
the current hop count for stored documents. This should work better in
3.1.5, and further improvements were made in 3.2.0b2. For initial digs
(htdig -i), the max_hop_count attribute, also settable with the -h option
to htdig, always did work correctly as far as I can recall.