Re: [htdig] Htmerge: "Deleted, invalid"

Subject: Re: [htdig] Htmerge: "Deleted, invalid"
From: David Adams (
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 03:57:16 PDT

Quoting Gilles Detillieux <>:

> > IRIX 6.5, Htdig 3.1.5
> >
> > One of the symptoms is that there is no consistency. Today's re-index
> > reported 84 pages to be invalid. Of these only one was from the
> > site, and this time it was
> > churchpage7.html. And that page is *NOT* found by any search on my index,
> > though I can follow links to it from other pages and browse it.
> >
> > I don't see how you can investigate this yet, but unless people put in
> > reports like mine you will always be able to claim the "no-one else
> > is having this problem".
> >
> > I will continue to look for a pattern which might give a clue.
> I'm inclined to think this is a platform-specific problem. Most of
> the trouble reports we've seen about IRIX systems are from users who
> can't even get htdig compiled, let alone running, so I don't think the
> package has had a thorough workout under IRIX. Which compier did you
> use to build it?
> --
> Gilles R. Detillieux E-mail: <>
> Spinal Cord Research Centre WWW:

That is a possibilty worth pursuing.

I use the standard MIPSpro compiler. The script I use (thanks to my former
collegeaue James Hammick) to setup the Makefile is:

CFLAGS="-woff all -O2 -mips4 -n32 -DHAVE_ALLOCA_H" ; export CFLAGS
CPPFLAGS="-woff all -O2 -mips4 -n32 -DHAVE_ALLOCA_H" ; export CPPFLAGS
LDFLAGS="-mips4 -L/usr/lib32 -rpath /opt/local/htdig-3.1.5/lib";
export LDFLAGS
./configure --prefix=/opt/local/htdig-3.1.5 \
  --with-cgi-bin-dir=/opt/local/htdig-3.1.5/cgi-bin \
  --with-image-dir=/opt/local/htdig-3.1.5/graphics \

A lot of that is site-specific, and the "-rpath <directory>" option is only
needed because the compression library is not in a standard place on the
machine on which htdig is run.

The "-woff all" option suppresses most warning messages. I will remove it,
recompile htdig and send the result directly to Gilles, it might contain a clue.

David Adams
Computing Services
Southampton University