Re: [htdig] httpd Internal Server Error

Subject: Re: [htdig] httpd Internal Server Error
From: Greg Lepore (gregl@mdarchives.state.md.us)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 09:50:49 PDT

Gilles et al,

        I've isolated the error to the sort by title parameter that I pass along
with the search terms. When I search with sort by score the results are
returned to the browser in the same time it takes to search by command
line. When I sort by title - crash-o-rama. Searching by reverse score
works, but not by time, reverse time, or reverse title.
        To sum up, the server will not return an error with sorting by score or
reverse score; any other sorting causes the internal server error,
presumably due to a timeout.
        In researching the Premature End of Script Headers problem at the Apache
website, it was pointed out that
"The second most common cause of this is a result of an interaction with
Perl's output buffering.... To make Perl flush its buffers after each
output statement...This is generally only necessary when you are calling
external programs from your script that send output to stdout, or if there
will be a long delay between the time the headers are sent and the actual
content starts being emitted... If your script isn't written in Perl, do
the equivalent thing for whatever language you are using (e.g., for C, call
fflush() after writing the headers). "
        Might this be relevant?

http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/~grdetil
>Dept. Physiology, U. of Manitoba Phone: (204)789-3766
>Winnipeg, MB R3E 3J7 (Canada) Fax: (204)789-3930

Gregory Lepore
Maryland Electronic Capital Webmaster
410-260-6425
gregl@mdarchives.state.md.us