Re: [htdig] httpd Internal Server Error

Subject: Re: [htdig] httpd Internal Server Error
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 08:34:47 PDT

According to Greg Lepore:
> I need to work on my powers of estimation, the actual command line time
> for a search that returns all pages (112,000) is around 20-25 seconds. At
> the time of the tests, there was only one install of HTDIG and therefore
> only one database and conf file. No unusual input parameters, basically
> "search everything" with the defaults.

OK, but just to be sure we rule out any input parameter differences, how
about setting the method from POST to GET in the search form, so you can
see the query string, and then calling htsearch from the command line
with the QUERY_STRING environment variable set to the same query string
you saw in the URL in your browser, and the REQUEST_METHOD environment
variable set to GET. Perhaps try the query that actually works from the
browser and returns the largest number of hits, and compare its timing to
the time it takes from the command line.

Unless you're running on a busy server and the CGI scripts run at a much
higher nice level, I'm at a loss to explain why htsearch takes so much
longer when run as a CGI.

> I am trying to install 3.2b2 but the
> dig time is outrageous, still running after 16 hours versus 5 hours for a
> complete dig with 3.1.3.
> However, searches that return 20,000 hits and over are still giving the
> crash. I was hoping that upgrading would give me some speed benefits. Of
> course, I will also install another 128MB of RAM and cross my fingers...

The 3.2 series is supposed to give some speed benefits for searches, at the
cost of longer digging time.