Re: [htdig] Problem with CGI

Subject: Re: [htdig] Problem with CGI
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 10:45:34 PDT

According to Tim Niemueller:
> I have a problem with ht://Dig 3.1.5. I have an Intranet Webserver
> running Apache with mod_ssl. All requests to Port 80 are redirected to
> the SSL site. Because ht://Dig does not understand SSL I created a new
> virtual on port 81 without SSL and the same contents as the SSL site but
> restricted to the localhost, so that only htdig can access it.
>
> Now I want to index the server. The startpage is a framed page. The main
> site is an CGI script (/main.cgi). I can access it through the
> webbrowser without any problems, but htdig always says that it cannot
> find this file. The access_log says that it gave an 200 code. So the
> file has definitly been found. Why does htdig then say that it didn't
> find it? I am using RedHat 6.1 and Apache 1.3.12. Any hints for me?
>
> Is there any way to use htdig with SSL?

I believe the patch archive contains a patch to add SSL capability
to htdig. I don't think we can add it to the main source distribution
because of export restrictions. That's one option.

The other option is to work around the SSL server as you're attempting.
I'm not sure why it's failing, as you didn't provide many details.
You may get more information by running htdig -vvv. My guess is that
one of the files, even the frameset, is making explicit references to
https:// URLs, which htdig will reject, rather than sticking to relative
references or http:// URLs. The other possibility may be server redirects
that are doing the same thing. If that's the case, you may be able to
work around the redirects by using local_urls to avoid going through the
server wherever possible.