Re: AW: [htdig] Fw: &amp in Titles

Subject: Re: AW: [htdig] Fw: & in Titles
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 13:51:53 PDT

According to Reich, Stefan:
> I'm not quite sure, but I had a similar problem, where a document containing
> & comes out of htdig with &amp in the source, so it looked like &amp
> in the browser.
>
> First you should check the HTML source of the result file.
> If this is your problem too, you can switch this behavior off using
> translate_amp: true (check the other translate_ options as well)
>
> I must confess, I don't understand, why this is switched off by default.

Historical reasons. The translate_* attributes were a hack introduced
because at the time, htsearch didn't translate certain special characters
(&, ", <, >) back to SGML entities, so they could cause problems in
excerpts and such. As of 3.1.5, these are translated back to SGML
entities, so the translate_* attributes should be set to true so htdig
properly translates these entities. (This was an oversight on my part
when I patched up htsearch.)

In 3.2, these troublesome attributes have been removed, so the entities
are always translated. What's really puzzling is that Roger Salisbury
has reported the same behaviour in 3.2. I can't imagine how that could
happen unless his database was built with an earlier development snapshot
of 3.2, before the removal of translate_amp.