Re: [htdig] Using -c parameter with htdig

Subject: Re: [htdig] Using -c parameter with htdig
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 07:51:29 PDT

According to Rachel Unkefer:
> Why does the -c parameter require the full path name for the
> configuration file when it is stored in the default conf directory? I
> spent hours trying to get this to work, only to finally figure out
> that it needed the full path name. The docs do not indicate that the
> full path name is needed, nor is it needed in other contexts.
> Irritating.

The docs don't indicate that the full path is needed, but they also don't
indicate that it will look in the default conf directory, rather than the
current directory, for the configuration file you specify. It's standard
behaviour in UNIX programs that relative pathnames for files are interpreted
relative to the current directory, unless explicitly stated otherwise, so
htdig is consistent with this behaviour. The only case I can think of where
the default conf directory name is prepended to a config file name is when
htsearch deals with the "config" cgi input parameter, but in this case it
also appends a ".conf" suffix. In what other contexts is the full path name
not needed?