[htdig] Starting to install htDig

Subject: [htdig] Starting to install htDig
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 02:34:55 PDT

On Monday 3 July 2000, at 20 h 51, the keyboard of "Juan Ventura"
<tdamarys@ibw.com.ni> wrote:

> Please help me!

First, your subject is stupid and, with so many shouting, you are sure to be
detected by bozo-filtering software (with an address in ".com", you would have
ended in my Trash/Bozo/ mail folder). Therefore, I changed it.

> I want to put a search engine on my site but I dont understand =
> anything...

The installation and configuration of ht://Dig should be done by your Unix
system administrator. You should see with him/her.

If you are the system administrator, I suggest to learn some basics of Unix,
software installation, etc, first. ht://Dig is not very complicated (much
simpler to install than, say, PostgreSQL) but it is not "hello, world", which
means it is not the package you should learn Unix with.

> first of all how do I get to execute the configure file?...

As its name says, you do not execute it, it is a configuration file and therefore it is read by ht://Dig when it executes.

If the question was actually, "How do you edit it", then the reply is "With any text editor" like emacs, vi or nedit.

Feel free to ask more specific questions. "I don't know what to do" is clearly something which cannot be answered. At least indicate the operating system you use and the specific problem you get (in great details).