RE: [htdig] Improving Search Efficency

Subject: RE: [htdig] Improving Search Efficency
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 10:23:56 PDT

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Abdul Jabbar wrote:

> Im sorry for being so vague, my Ram is 128Mb ram i have a Pentium 2 machine
> with a Ide harddrive, the database sizes are
>
> 103369728 Jun 22 05:32 db.docdb
> 3412992 Jun 22 05:32 db.docs.index
> 197846896 Jun 22 05:24 db.wordlist
> 153959424 Jun 22 05:24 db.words.db
>
> I hope this helps, thanks once again.

You'll probably get quite a significant speedup by getting a fast SCSI
drive rather than IDE. I'd also probably get at least another 64MB of RAM
and probably go all the way to 256MB.

I'd also take a look through the user queries and decide how many of those
huge lists (in the thousands) are truly useful. You'll see some speedup if
you put words with very low information content in your bad_words file.