Re: [htdig] SQL database integration...

Subject: Re: [htdig] SQL database integration...
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 07:29:33 PDT

At 8:24 AM +0200 6/21/00, cicciotomi wrote:
>So I don' t know if the problem has been discussed previously. I
>tested the performances of ht://Dig with the Berkeley-DB and I did
>not find them very interesting. Mine is only an amatorial interest,
>but, shouldn' t be better add Postgres SQL (that seems to be a very
>good SQL database) libraries instead of using the cited database
>system? I think Geoff Hutchinson was working on a project to
>parallelize the dig process and to use clustered databases on
>different machines (Beowulf?). For this reason too, shouldn' t be
>better change Berkeley-DB with strong and releable SQL databases (as
>said Postgres, mySQL, ...)?

OK, first off, I don't remember *ever* saying I was working on any
such project. It's a nice idea, but I'm neither the one to do it or
do I have the time to do it.

Secondly, I disagree that SQL is necessarily better than the Berkeley
DB. Yes, we would like to give people the option of using a SQL
server if they'd like it. However, Berkeley is just as strong and
reliable as SQL and is used for storing terabytes of data.
Furthermore, the word database is probably best stored in a
compressed Berkeley database, especially on the grounds of disk space
usage.

So yes, I will at some point be integrating Zoran's mySQL patches and
if anyone else wishes to contribute to that effort, it would be
appreciated. But the Berkeley DB is not going away for several
reasons:
1) The compressed databases are almost always smaller than SQL ones
(usually by a lot).
2) You don't need to set up a SQL server to get ht://Dig to work, it
works out of the box. (So to speak.)

Both of these reasons are important. There are many webmasters out
there, myself included, who want something fairly lightweight. And
though complaints about disk usage are less frequent than they were
even 2 years ago, I think it's still a significant worry. Not
everyone wants to by huge disks.

Sorry for such a long answer, but I wanted to explain things as
clearly as possible. If you'd like to help, please let us know--it
would be greatly appreciated.