Re: [htdig] trying to figure out -a and merging

Subject: Re: [htdig] trying to figure out -a and merging
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 20:13:59 PDT

At 10:20 PM -0400 6/15/00, Clint Gilders wrote:
>#this below is a stock bit from rundig and I would appreciate knowing
>#what it does (I don't do shell yet)
>
>case "$alt" in
>-a)
> ( cd $DBDIR && test -f db.docdb.work &&
> for f in *.work
> do
> mv -f $f `basename $f .work`
> done ) ;;
>esac

Basically, this is a bit of shell script that normally makes things
easier for people. With the default rundig script, you can call it
"rundig -a" and it will pass this to both programs and run the case
here. (In this case, $alt will be -a. If you don't pass the flag, it
won't be set and it will skip this section.)

>db.docdb, db.docs.index, db.wordlist, and db.words.db are the same size
>it was when I started and I now have these other files with the .work
>ext.. How do I combine the new data in the work files with the original
>files?

I'm not sure why the timestamps on your original files were *newer*
than the ones that you just created. But you want to move (or copy)
the .work files to replace the other databases.

Since I prefer to run update digs, I keep some of the .work files
around. See rundig.sh at <http://www.htdig.org/files/contrib/scripts/>