Re: [htdig] more custom search questions

Subject: Re: [htdig] more custom search questions
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 16:04:28 PDT

At 3:12 PM -0700 6/15/00, Stephen L Arnold wrote:
>I have two select tags (one for task and one for doc_type) that use
>the Restrict parameter to HtSearch, with the default selection "all"
>for both. However, when I select a specific task and a specific
>doc_type, HtSearch never sees the task selection, but does see the
>doc_type selection (I guess it only sees the last value of Restrict).

Actually as you've described your search form, it's probably using a
restrict to one OR the other. But it's a little hard to be sure
without seeing the form (and knowing that you're using a recent
version of ht://Dig).

>Is there some way to combine the values from both Select tags and
>pass them as a single value to Restrict? If not, would I actually
>have to try and mod the code? I can do Ada, Fortran, and a little
>C, but I'd rather not try and mess with any C++ code...

Probably the easiest way to do this is either with a small shell or
Perl wrapper or using JavaScript in the page itself. If I understand
you correctly, you want:

&restrict=task1&restrict=doc_type2

=> &restrict=task1/doc_type2

Since this is site-specific, it's probably easiest to have the
wrapper go through and "edit" the query on-the-fly before it passes
it off to htsearch.