Re: [htdig] .pdf and .doc-files (fwd)

Subject: Re: [htdig] .pdf and .doc-files (fwd)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 08:22:43 PDT

Re using doc2html to process .xls files.

> > I don't think it is quite so simple: (and
> > parse_doc and conv_doc) only use the "magic number" of the
> > file to decide which utility to use for conversion.
> >
> > MS Word and Excel files can have the same magic number.
> Oh, yuck!
> > The easy solution is a separate conversion script for excel
> > files. The sophisticated solution is a more advanced
> > script which uses the information on MIME type passed to it.
> It shouldn't be too hard to patch doc2html to do look at argument no. 2,
> the mime type.

I have started work on version 2.0 of doc2html which will make use the
mime-type. I will need to test it for a while, so even if I don't get
diverted to more urgent work it will be at elast a couple of weeks
before I have anything to show.

David J Adams
Computing Services
University of Southampton