Re: [htdig] Splitting up the dig

Subject: Re: [htdig] Splitting up the dig
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 08:57:15 PDT

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Sheri Campbell wrote:

> I have a problem with space right now (lack of it) and because of this
> htmerge fails. Is it possible to split up the dig and then combine
> all of the datbases and still use only one configuration file? OR, is
> it possible to do several small digss and use more than one
> configuration file for the search? For example, in my html search
> page is it possible to <input type=hidden name="config"
> value=config/file1 && config/file2>

In the 3.1.x code, you can split up the dig and combine all of the
databases, but you'll need a config file for each database set. This
probably won't help much with space though--there's a small amount of
overhead per database file, so multiple ones will take more space. You'll
still need to run htmerge at the end too.

Also, you can currently only use one config file in a search in the 3.1.x
code.

But if you need to free up space, there are a variety of things you can
do. You could turn on the compression_level attribute to compress the
excerpts in the database, cut down on the max_head_length to store smaller
excerpts, etc. You can also delete or compress the db.wordlist file after
running htmerge since it is not used by htsearch.