Re: [htdig] lots of problems with htdig

Subject: Re: [htdig] lots of problems with htdig
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 07:33:47 PDT

At 5:31 PM +0300 6/7/00, Peter Peltonen wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 08:43:18AM -0500, Geoff Hutchison wrote:
> > The htdig indexer follows links. So if your document is not indexed,
>
>This was news to me! I haven't been paying attention...
>
>I have a HTML-site in /home/httpd/html directory. Some of the links are
>javascripts and stuff. How can I be sure that every document will be
>indexed?

If you are using JavaScript to "link," then your links will not be
followed by ht://Dig or any other spider that I know...

>Should I create a HTML page that points to every HTML document I have and
>put htdig to index that or is there a better way?

Yes, or you can also use <link> tags in the header to refer to
documents that are related. See the HTML standard for more
information on the <link> tag.

> > It depends on your system. I would expect that fi_FI should work on a
>
>Neither one works.
>
> > locale installed properly. Is this a localized version of RedHat?
> > What locales do you see installed?
>
>No, this is the standard english version of RedHat. I just changed

Well, you can try another ISO-8859-1 based locale and it will
probably work OK. Try for example en_US (or if you prefer, en_UK).

>echo $LANG I get "fi_FI" as the result. And some of my system messages are
>in Finnish, so it seems that the Finnish-locale _is_ working but htdig just
>doesn't recognize it...

The key parts of the locale are the sort order and character set.
These are not necessarily tied to localization issues like system
messages. In fact, many locales are "broken" in that they do not
properly handle accents and so on. :-(