Re: [htdig] Getting URL names to show up in index.

Subject: Re: [htdig] Getting URL names to show up in index.
From: Geoff Hutchison (
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 08:07:06 PDT

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 wrote:

> I hope this is a simple one. I am trying to have URL names show up in
> search results. I have thousands of files that are in the following
> format:
> 123456_latest.pdf
> I would like to get hits on 123456. The following is the way I have the
> htdig.conf setup

I think what you meant to say is that you want to *search* on parts of a
filename. (You can already get URL names to show up in search
results--this is part of the $(URL) variable).

This has been requested a few times, but no one has offered anything in
terms of implementation. It probably needs something in after
it gets through parsing a file to "parse" the URL.

Personally, I'd put the string in your files somewhere (doesn't PDF have a
"comments" or "keywords" portion). This will also make it easier for other
search engines or browsers to get the information.