Re: [htdig] Unable to open word list file ...Hmm -- A new twist?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Unable to open word list file ...Hmm -- A new twist?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 15:31:21 PDT

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, hsinclai wrote:

> Sorry -- I didn't express this very well. There are about 10 scripts in
> the /etc/cron.daily directory. I was under the impression that cron would
> wait for the parent PID of the first script to exit before launching the
> next one. Perhaps this is not the case, I'll have to research it. I am
> guessing that one of my rundig scripts had not fully finished before the
> next one was launched by cron.

No, most cron daemons are very simplistic. It's like setting an alarm--it
will go off regardless of whether it should or not. :-)

It would be lovely if a cron program did this, or was smart enough to
realize it missed some runs during a power outage or whatnot. Until that
time... [Note, I'm not volunteering to write a cron daemon that does this.
I just don't have the time.]