Re: [htdig] Replacing db files?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Replacing db files?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 15:12:06 PDT

At 12:42 PM -0400 5/23/00, David Sklar wrote:
>have updated indexes. Is there a way I can "lock" htdig so that it will queue
>up searches or otherwise pause while the files are being copied over? What
>will the consequences be if htdig runs a search using partially-complete index
>files that are in process of being copied?

My suggestion is to transfer the databases under different names
(e.g. .work files) and then rename them locally. This way you don't
have to worry about transfer latency and the chance for a bad search
is minimized.

If htsearch hits databases in strange states, it will probably give
some sort of error. There isn't any sort of version system to ensure
the databases are all of one set. (Hmm, that's not a bad idea...)