Re: [htdig] htdig -s option for checking dead links

Subject: Re: [htdig] htdig -s option for checking dead links
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 15:05:20 PDT

At 3:08 PM -0400 5/23/00, Chris Unger wrote:
>we are only getting 1-2 dead links each time we run "rundig -s" I realize that
>we may have fixed one dead link and therefore another pops up because it can
>pass through the new link, but some of these links have absolutely no
>correlation!

If you are running an update dig, then you will not get a full broken
link report. It will essentially give you exactly what you
described--broken links it just found. It also won't have the
referring URL since these are not saved in the database.

This is one reason I rebuild the databases once a month. I have a
special "cleandig" script that kills my .work copies, runs an initial
dig and sends out broken link messages. (I basically use the broken
link script that's up on htdig.org, so there isn't anything magic
about it.)

> Also, the first time we ran it, we got 3,900 total documents, now we are
>getting 3,400.???!!!!

My guess is that some of these "documents" are really the stubs for
broken links or documents forbidden by the robots.txt file. If you
have an alternate way of counting URLs, this would be a useful
comparison.