Re: [htdig] Re: the mysterious "Deleted, no excerpt" problem

Subject: Re: [htdig] Re: the mysterious "Deleted, no excerpt" problem
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 09:12:53 PDT

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Patrick Robinson wrote:

> Oh, I definitely think it's BBEdit's fault. All I can figure is that
> the original file, which was being editing in BBEdit, may have come
> from some other unscrupulous app, like Microsoft Word. So, maybe it's
> not *totally* BBEdit's fault -- but I thought it was supposed to be
> a text-only editor (I don't know much about it, obviously), so I would
> have thought that it would strip out gunk like that, anyway -- even if
> it was in the file it started with.

I haven't used BBEdit too much, but I do know that it sticks to the policy
of "leave it alone if possible." My preferred editor on the Mac (Alpha),
does this as well. So nulls won't automatically be stripped.

Out of curiousity, how does it show in browsers? This may be one of those
"real world" issues where the HTML parser just needs to be more liberal.