Re: [htdig] Weird endings problem

Subject: Re: [htdig] Weird endings problem
From: Alexey Rodriguez (alexey@dicyt.umss.edu.bo)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 02:55:12 PDT

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:

> According to Alexey Rodriguez:
> > >
> > > Alas, Gilles is wrong here. The htfuzzy program will make the endings
> > > databases without taking any look at old databases, so this won't be
> > > a problem.
> > >
> > > I haven't taken a look at the spanish.aff file, but I will take a
> > > look at the code and see if there's enough error-checking. It's
> > > possible an empty string was generated as a key and this should be
> > > ignored before it ever gets to the database.
> > >
> > > If it managed to build the databases I'm sure they're OK. These
> > > messages are really more debugging output or warnings than errors.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the report though, you probably found a bug.
> > Thanks Gilles and Geoff for helping all of us. Your support will improve
> > a lot the services that we offer at the site where i am working.
> > I hope the endings problem can be eventually solved
>
> I think you're missing a key point Geoff made - your databases should
> be OK, despite the warning messages you saw. Did you look to see if the
> databases are there? Did you try htsearch using the endings algorithm to
> see if it adds the proper variations of word endings to the search query?
> If the root2word.db and word2root.db databases are missing, or they don't
> work, be sure to report it. Otherwise Geoff is working on the assumption
> that the bug is not as serious as it may be. On the other hand, if the
> databases do work, please let us know, to confirm what Geoff said.
>
> --
> Spinal Cord Research Centre WWW: http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/~grdetil

        Hi, in my first message i forgot to mention that word databases
are built. In fact searching works OK for this databases. Maybe the
warnings i saw while building the databases are the cause of repetitive
variations found by the endings algorithm. That is the only problem that i
have while using htsearch with endings enabled. By the way in the first
message i have included instructions for using the search engine with the
databases generated. Try the word "buscar" at the search prompt and you'll
see several ocurrences of the same variants. I don't know if thw problem
is in the database code or in the aff file. You can experiment with the
search engine at http://pascal.dicyt.umss.edu.bo/umss/buscar.html
        If anyone needs more information for tracking the problem i'll be
glad to help.
                                        Alexey