Re: [htdig] Weird endings problem

Subject: Re: [htdig] Weird endings problem
From: Alexey Rodriguez (
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 02:55:12 PDT

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:

> According to Alexey Rodriguez:
> > >
> > > Alas, Gilles is wrong here. The htfuzzy program will make the endings
> > > databases without taking any look at old databases, so this won't be
> > > a problem.
> > >
> > > I haven't taken a look at the spanish.aff file, but I will take a
> > > look at the code and see if there's enough error-checking. It's
> > > possible an empty string was generated as a key and this should be
> > > ignored before it ever gets to the database.
> > >
> > > If it managed to build the databases I'm sure they're OK. These
> > > messages are really more debugging output or warnings than errors.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the report though, you probably found a bug.
> > Thanks Gilles and Geoff for helping all of us. Your support will improve
> > a lot the services that we offer at the site where i am working.
> > I hope the endings problem can be eventually solved
> I think you're missing a key point Geoff made - your databases should
> be OK, despite the warning messages you saw. Did you look to see if the
> databases are there? Did you try htsearch using the endings algorithm to
> see if it adds the proper variations of word endings to the search query?
> If the root2word.db and word2root.db databases are missing, or they don't
> work, be sure to report it. Otherwise Geoff is working on the assumption
> that the bug is not as serious as it may be. On the other hand, if the
> databases do work, please let us know, to confirm what Geoff said.
> --
> Gilles R. Detillieux E-mail: <>
> Spinal Cord Research Centre WWW:
        Hi, in my first message i forgot to mention that word databases
are built. In fact searching works OK for this databases. Maybe the
warnings i saw while building the databases are the cause of repetitive
variations found by the endings algorithm. That is the only problem that i
have while using htsearch with endings enabled. By the way in the first
message i have included instructions for using the search engine with the
databases generated. Try the word "buscar" at the search prompt and you'll
see several ocurrences of the same variants. I don't know if thw problem
is in the database code or in the aff file. You can experiment with the
search engine at
        If anyone needs more information for tracking the problem i'll be
glad to help.