Re: [htdig] Weird endings problem

Subject: Re: [htdig] Weird endings problem
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 14:11:07 PDT

According to Alexey Rodriguez:
> On Fri, 19 May 2000, Geoff Hutchison wrote:
> > At 4:02 PM -0500 5/19/00, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> > >much out. Just a simple guess, though: did you try removing any old
> > >word2root.db or root2word.db files before running htfuzzy endings? It may
> > >be a problem with an existing database, rather than an affix file problem.
> >
> > Alas, Gilles is wrong here. The htfuzzy program will make the endings
> > databases without taking any look at old databases, so this won't be
> > a problem.
> >
> > I haven't taken a look at the spanish.aff file, but I will take a
> > look at the code and see if there's enough error-checking. It's
> > possible an empty string was generated as a key and this should be
> > ignored before it ever gets to the database.
> >
> > If it managed to build the databases I'm sure they're OK. These
> > messages are really more debugging output or warnings than errors.
> >
> > Thanks for the report though, you probably found a bug.
> Thanks Gilles and Geoff for helping all of us. Your support will improve
> a lot the services that we offer at the site where i am working.
> I hope the endings problem can be eventually solved

I think you're missing a key point Geoff made - your databases should
be OK, despite the warning messages you saw. Did you look to see if the
databases are there? Did you try htsearch using the endings algorithm to
see if it adds the proper variations of word endings to the search query?
If the root2word.db and word2root.db databases are missing, or they don't
work, be sure to report it. Otherwise Geoff is working on the assumption
that the bug is not as serious as it may be. On the other hand, if the
databases do work, please let us know, to confirm what Geoff said.