Re: [htdig] Indexing binary files by filename

Subject: Re: [htdig] Indexing binary files by filename
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 16:38:58 PDT

At 4:56 PM +0100 5/19/00, Darrell Berry wrote:
>"Indexing binary files by filename (simply need to write a minimal parser
>for this)"
>
>its on the todo list---can i cast my vote for it happening soon? we have a
>site which is about 50% text documents and 50% quicktime movies, soundfiles
>etc, and being able to search for these media clips by filename would be a
>godsend!

Remember those textbooks that say "this is an exercise left to the
reader?" This is my version. :-)

The biggest catch is that htmerge will currently remove documents
that don't have an excerpt. So you probably want a minimal script
that returns something for a title and something for an excerpt. (My
suggestion would be to return the file type as an excerpt, like
"QuickTime movie" or "MP3 file" but anything is fine.)

Then you'd probably want to remove these file types from the
bad_extensions list.