Re: [htdig] Stability of beta, and a couple newbie questions

Subject: Re: [htdig] Stability of beta, and a couple newbie questions
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 16:35:35 PDT

Grr. Major net hiccups in my neck of the woods. I was writing this when
everything died. Gilles answered many of the points, but I'll send this
anyway for another opinion.

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Joe Sanderson wrote:

> matching and improvements in match weighting. I've looked at the source
> code change comments, and the release notes, but is there a higher level
> feature list of "what's new in 3.2"? How far is the 3.2.0 version from
> being considered "release" code?

The biggest thing holding back additional betas is that the 3.2 code is
not feature complete. Importantly, we still have to do some updating of
the htsearch code and we really should get in a duplicate detection
mechanism for htdig. The STATUS file in snapshots indicates what still
needs to be done.

The closest thing to a "what's new in 3.2" is the release notes. More will
be written when features are complete. :-)

> results (provided there's a match)? How does the update work - does it
> check the date on all html files indexed, and only re-index files that
> have changed since the last index build?

Yes, this is correct. If it hits a URL that was deleted (i.e. it gets a
404), it will remove it.

> 2) (A related question) Does htsearch check for stale links (to pages
> that do not exist) in the results?

No. This would require a check for each link--this would be *way* too much
overhead. In 3.2, there is some error checking to make sure documents
marked to be deleted don't come up in search results. Technically in the
3.2 code, you don't have to run anything except htdig before searching the
databases. This means htsearch needs to be more careful.

> 3) If I use the -i option to htdig, and the databases already exist,
> does htdig do a complete rebuild of the index or does it just do an
> update?

If you specify -i, it deletes them and then does a complete rebuild
Similarly if you don't specify -i and there aren't any old databases, it
does a rebuild instead of an update.