Re: [htdig] maximum_pages

Subject: Re: [htdig] maximum_pages
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 14:57:40 PDT

According to Jim Cole:
> Hi - Mainly a curiosity question here. Just had a user ask why they
> couldn't go past the first ten pages of results. I know this can be bumped
> up via maximum_pages, and that the default is 10. But I was wondering if
> there was actually a reason for the default limit of 10 or whether it was
> just an arbitrary choice. I can't imagine there would be any performance
> issues involved, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong ;)

I think it was just because the distribution only provides graphical buttons
for page numbers 1 to 10. As far as I know, there isn't any real performance
hit if you increase it. htsearch still has to do some processing of all
matches, up until it sorts them for relevance, before pruning the list, so
maximum_pages doesn't affect that. The only downside is you could wind up
with a HUGE pagelist if you set this to a HUGE value and you get a HUGE number
of hits.

> Also, is there a setting that will simply turn off the maximum, or do I
> just need to go with the "really big number" approach.

big number!

In earlier versions, this attribute only limited the pagelist size, and
not the actual number of pages which could be generated. It was changed
because there was no easy way of limiting the results to a single page
before, if that's what the configurer wanted, and in most cases it doesn't
make sense to limit the pagelist to something smaller than the actual
number of pages, because you lose direct access to those higher pages.