Re: [htdig] Endings databases of two languages

Subject: Re: [htdig] Endings databases of two languages
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 06:32:03 PDT

At 12:15 PM -0500 5/17/00, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
>I don't know how feasible it would be to produce a "merged" endings
>database for two or more languages. I somehow doubt it would be as
>trivial as concatenating your .0 dictinary files and your .aff files,
>then rerunning htfuzzy endings on the combined files. Can someone
>with a better understanding of this algorithm and the affix files
>shed any light on this? Has anyone ever tried it?

That would not be a great idea. This would generate a database with
German words and English endings, English words with German endings,
as well as the stuff you want (German with German and English with
English).

This is the catch to wanting to use the endings for two
languages--you would have to carefully merge the root2word and
word2root databases. For example, what about words that have the same
spelling in each language but different meanings?

>However, the whole issue of whether the endings database can be set up to
>support 2 languages simultaneously is still unresolved. As far as I recall,
>you're only the second person to request such a feature.

I think there have been 3-4 who have requested this, but it's not an
easy thing to do. If someone wants to carefully modify the Endings
source to loop through a series of languages and merge the results
into one database, that might be a useful starting point.