Re: [htdig] htmerge - error closing file

Subject: Re: [htdig] htmerge - error closing file
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 13:32:26 PDT

According to campbel@ws177.cisti.nrc.ca:
> I am running htmerge and keep getting "word sort: failed" error. I
> have gone through all FAQ's and relevant mail, done all modifications
> but now I get one of two errors (1)write error (Input/ouput error) or (2)bin/sort: error closing
> file. When I du -k my temp file, it gradually gets larger then fails
> and returns to it's orgiinal size. The merge stops shortly after being started. Any suggestions
> would be greatly appreciated.

On what type of system are you running this? That matters a great deal,
as different systems require different solutions, as the FAQ mentions.
What are all the modifications you've attempted? It seems to me,
from what you're saying, that changing TMPDIR to point to a temporary
directory with more space should do the trick, but if you've carried out
all the suggestions in the FAQ, then it would seem this trick didn't work.
Is that because your sort command doesn't correctly handle the -T option
that htmerge passes to it, or because you don't have any temporary
directories on volumes with sufficient space? How much data are you
attempting to index? The rule of thumb is that you may need up to twice
as much free space as the size of the data you're indexing, to have room
for all the databases and two copies of the word list.