Re: [htdig] How do I gain control over links inside excerpts?

Subject: Re: [htdig] How do I gain control over links inside excerpts?
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 09:41:42 PDT

According to Søren Hermansen:
> I would like to gain control over a link inside an excerpt.
>
> What I mean is: If the following result of a search is e.g.:
>
> Programming Language Support Reference Manual Chapter 9
> ... , sdb provides a mechanism for examining the source text.
> Procedures may be
> called directly from the debugger. This feature is useful both for
> _testing_ individual
> procedures and for calling user-provided routines that provide
> formatted printouts
> of structured data. A short sample session is included at ...
>
> http://intranet.dmi.min.dk/dokumenter/edbbrugervejl/sxman/g1af01e/chap9.html
> 28/08-1998, 46311 bytes
>
> Where the word _testing_ is a link to some page (maybe even with a hash
> like #overview attached).
> How can I manipulate it ? (e.g. in connection with javascript.) I've
> already mannaged to do it with the links from the title and link-path
> shown in the second last line.
>
> The big idea is that, found pages are setup in the frames they would
> have been setup in, if
> the page had been referenced in a "normal" manner.

This is kind of difficult to answer, because you don't really explain
what you mean by "gain control over" the link, or how you manipulate
the other two links (in connection with javascript). If you mean you
modified the templates somehow to add something to the $(URL) variable
for the links, then there isn't an easy equivalent for the links within
the excerpt, because they are simply embedded as HTML <a href=...> tags
in the EXCERPT template variable. You may need to change the hilight()
procedure in htsearch/Display.cc to do what you want.