[htdig] Endings databases of two languages

Subject: [htdig] Endings databases of two languages
From: Andreas Hudzieczek (andreas@star.informatik.rwth-aachen.de)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 11:08:43 PDT

I compiled htdig 3.1.5 on Solaris 2.6 and my site hosts pages of mainly english and german content.
I first did a regular index of my site where everything went fine, but then I reedited the htdig.conf to include support for german endings like so:

search_algorithm: exact:1 endings:0.5
lang_dir: ${database_dir}/german
bad_word_list: ${lang_dir}/bad_words
endings_affix_file: ${lang_dir}/german.aff
endings_dictionary: ${lang_dir}/german.0
endings_root2word_db: ${lang_dir}/root2word.db
endings_word2root_db: ${lang_dir}/word2root.db

Then I reindexed the site and ran 'htfuzzy endings'. After that, searching my site brought up the right German words with different endings as it should due to the endings algo I ran, however, this is not the case anymore for English words.

Therefore, I am now looking for a possibility to sort of have two "endings databases".
Do I need a specific english.0 file, although regular english indexing return good endings, whenever I include a secondary language beside english?

I am further assuming that the indexing as well as the endings algos will look at the lang_dir variable, but if I want to have two languages and their endings, how do I present two lang_dir variables, for example?
Btw, I did not state any locale varible (after all, the German endings database worked fine without that).
If anyone thinks that it is necessary, how do I specify two different locales?

Oh, I looked at the FAQ and searched the mailing list, but didn't find enough answers to similar questions to solve the puzzle.

Please help if you can.