RE: [htdig] 2 questions:   and bad_words

Subject: RE: [htdig] 2 questions:   and bad_words
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 09:17:30 PDT

On Tue, 16 May 2000, NEPOTE Charles (Neuilly Gestion) wrote:

> ht://Dig 3.1.5 installed via a RPM specially made for Mandrake 7.0, by
> MandrakeSoft, downloded at :
> ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrake-devel/contrib/RPMS/htdig-3.1.5-2mdk.i5
> 86.rpm
> (note ftp.ciril.fr is an official mirror for MandrakeSoft).
> I made an normal install of the RPM without changing anything but the
> htdig.conf file :
> -- I add locale: fr_FR
> -- I modified other attributes which not deal with locale problem.

Strange. I guess I would check with Mandrake about their locale support. I
would have thought it would be identical to RedHat since they are supposed
to be based off of the same versions of glibc and so on.

> I agree that "the whole range of configuration attributes is very confusing
> to new users".
> So much job have been done, so much atribute added since the beginning ! But
> may be there are other answers to that problem than stopping adding
> attributes.
> Why not reorganize the attributes ? You will see -- see below -- that
> ht://Dig is not as difficult as you think whith a better organisation of the
> attribute.
[snip]
> -- the documentation : you could add a "Attributes / By type" documentation
> (not much work whith a database ; only add a field).
> -- the default htdig.conf ; for example you should add all fonction ordered
> by type with the majority with a "#" to let the user see the choice he have
> in what type of need.

Actually, you hit the nail on the head with your comment about adding a
field and having a "by type." We have added the categories in the 3.2 tree
and will be able to split the attributes by type. The documentation is
now generated from the defaults.cc file by script, so some changes are
easier to make.

Personally, I would rather see the very large attrs.html file be split
into several files for faster loading. IMHO, this would also make it
easier to show how some attributes work in tandem and see the groupings.
All that really remains is for someone to make changes to the
cf_generate.pl script. Help along these lines would be appreciated--there
are only so many hours in the day. :-)

We may add a few additional example .conf files, but I don't think we're
going to list all of them in htdig.conf. Most people don't need all of
them and it would make the file *way* too large. If people can figure out
that Apache has attributes beyond what's in the .conf files, why is it any
different for ht://Dig?