Re: [htdig] BAD TAG IN SERIALIZED DATA: 110 and DB2 error messages

Subject: Re: [htdig] BAD TAG IN SERIALIZED DATA: 110 and DB2 error messages
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 21:51:55 PDT

At 6:29 AM +0200 5/11/00, Alain FORCIOLI wrote:
>We're running HTDIG 3.1.5 on a ix86 Redhat 6.1.
>Htdig currently indexes about 50000 documents (HTML and PDF)
>(http://www.unesco.org/).

<offtopic>Cool. This pretty much made my day last week. Great
organization</offtopic>

>Incremental and initial indexation frequently reports the following
>problems :
>[snip]
>As a consequence, the search doesn't work properly.
>To solve this problem i have to reindex from scratch (i.e. initial
>indexation).

Wait. Does this happen every time you index or only when you index.
Your first sentence here is "incremental and initial" then you solve
it by initial indexing.

I'm pretty sure your BAD TAG comments are coming from htdig itself.
Are the other errors coming from htdig or htmerge?

>I had a look at Htdig discussion list but unfortunately though this
>problem is clearly reported i don't know how to solve definitively
>this problem.

There are two problems. The first is that this usually crops up as an
intermittent bug--these are the hardest to find and squash. The
second is that many people post the message and then disappear while
we try to follow up.

If you're willing to help us get to the bottom, it would be greatly
appreciated.

See http://www.htdig.org/mail/2000/02/0295.html

I think the patch on that message is screwy, so I'd try getting it
from the archive (it's the diagnostic patch)
ftp://sol.ccsf.cc.ca.us//htdig-patches/3.1.5/

Apply the patch and recompile, making sure debugging (-g) is turned
on. Then follow my instructions about running it through gdb. If we
can get a backtrace at the time of the DB2 error message, it would
greatly help.

Thanks,