Re: [htdig] date info in db

Subject: Re: [htdig] date info in db
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 14:44:22 PDT

According to Retrogusto@aol.com:
> I'm using htdig to index/search a database of .pdf files. It was all set up
> recently, and all of the files were uploaded at once, so when a search is
> done all of the results list a date of 29-Apr-00, although the documents were
> created on different dates, and the dates are an important factor in
> evaluating the importance of the various documents.
>
> I am hoping that there is a way of changing the date info in the htdig
> database to reflect the date on which each document was created. It seems
> that a flie called db.docdb contains this information. Should I download
> this as simple text and change the individual date listings in this file,
> then upload it? Is this possible? Is there a better way?

The db.docdb file is a Berkeley DB file, not a plain text file, so
changing it after the fact is not a simple matter. The easiest way would
be to re-upload your PDF files using a method that preserves modification
times, or use the touch command to set the modification time for each
file after the fact. Then, rebuild your index from scratch to get the
correct dates.