Re: [htdig] Can't build htdig 3.1.5 (htfuzzy)

Subject: Re: [htdig] Can't build htdig 3.1.5 (htfuzzy)
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 14:55:29 PDT

On Fri, 12 May 2000, James B. Byrne wrote:

> C++=aCC

I'm not familiar with the HP compiles. I assume this is a full c++
compiler?

> When attempting to build htdig 3.1.5 "out of the box" I get the
> following errors:

> Warning 552: "../htlib/htString.h", line 112 # Ambiguous overloaded function dec
> laration; default arguments make this function indistinguishable from previous o
> ne. Clashing function "String &String::chop(char)" was previously declared at

> Warning 829: "Endings.cc", line 35 # Implicit conversion of string literal to 'c
> har *' is deprecated.
> name = "endings";
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm surprised at the warnings--these are non-issues. Modern C++ compilers
understand there is a difference between int and char and understand that
if you have a string class, the literal need not be converted. (The class
itself has a non-implicit conversion to char *).

However, these don't stop compilation. You have a problem with your regex
functions being non-POSIX compliant:

Error 181: "EndingsDB.cc", line 316 # Expected 0 argument(s) for "int
regcomp()" ; had 3 instead.
 regcomp(&reg, entry->expression, REG_ICASE | REG_NOSUB | REG_EXT

We could probably arrange a regex configure test for this, but we include
our own regex code for exactly this reason--many platforms have "broken"
regex functions.

You will need to fix the errors, but you can probably ignore the warnings.