Re: [htdig] Attention RPM users - quick poll (slightly off)

Subject: Re: [htdig] Attention RPM users - quick poll (slightly off)
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 14:51:29 PDT

Thanks for responding.

According to Stephen L Arnold:
> I didn't use the htdig RPM, precisely because I've had problems such
> as you describe with other packages (and not because I tried to install
> the wrong RPM).
>
> I think the state of glibc, the linux kernel, support for libc5, etc,
> is different between almost all distributions (and different versions
> of the same distro), and if everything isn't just right between the
> build system and the one being installed to, you can have strange
> things happen.

Yes, this is why I made 3 different binary RPMs available for Red Hat
Linux/Intel, in addition to the source RPM. The problem is that despite
the availability of all of these, users are very frequently grabbing and
installing the wrong one. I'm looking for a way to help prevent this.

> In my experience, these problems all go away when I build from source
> (normal tarballs), but then I don't get that stuff into the RPM
> database. If you have an RPM spec file, then you can build an RPM from
> the src.rpm. Why don't you try a src rpm package with instructions
> on how to build it? That would probably take care of most problems
> (except for the operator-error stuff...).

I do distribute the source RPM, and that RPM includes the spec
file. Rebuilding from the src.rpm is pretty simple (rpm --rebuild
htdig-3.1.5-0.src.rpm), provided you have the C/C++ compilers and
development libraries installed on your system. That seems to be a common
snag that prompts a lot of folks to hunt down pre-compiled binary RPMs.
That's why I made them available.

I think what I need is some clearer documentation, including rebuild
instructions, to prod people towards the right package for their system.
I'm also thinking of using a naming convention like

        htdig-3.1.5-0redhat4.i386.rpm
        htdig-3.1.5-0redhat5.i386.rpm
        htdig-3.1.5-0redhat6.i386.rpm

for the binaries, to avoid (or at least reduce) confusion.