Re: [htdig] Compiling Help in Mandrake 7.0

Subject: Re: [htdig] Compiling Help in Mandrake 7.0
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 12:47:22 PDT

According to James McLaughlin:
> checking for c++... c++
> checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot
> create executables.
>
> I sent this to some other mailing lists and was told to: "Try reinstalling
> the libsdc++ and libsdc++-devel RPMs...."
>
> If this is what it looks like I need..can someone point me to where I may
> find the links for this. I looked on www.rpmfind.net but did not find the
> libsdc++ or -devl rpms. Would it be easier to use the source?

You may be missing the libstdc++ RPM, but you may also be missing the
egcs-c++ RPM, or whatever Mandrake uses as C++ compiler. All the RPMs
you need are probably on your Mandrake distribution CD-ROM (or ftp site),
even though they may not be installed by default.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Would it be easier to use the source?"
That's what you are doing, which is why you need a working C++ compiler
and libraries. If you mean would it be easier to use the binary
RPMs for htdig, then no, it wouldn't be, because apparently the htdig
RPMs, which were built on Red Hat systems, don't run properly on
Mandrake, so you need to rebuild from the source. Whether you use
the source tar.gz archive, or rebuild the htdig source RPM, you will
need to have a working C++ compiler.