Re: [htdig] 2 questions:   and bad_words

Subject: Re: [htdig] 2 questions:   and bad_words
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 12:08:51 PDT

According to "NEPOTE Charles (Neuilly Gestion)":
> I have the same problem using a french locale (fr_FR), on a Linux
> Mandrake 7.0 box.
> As a newbie I won't hack the code... I am interested by Gille's
> solution. Is
> it possible to simply remap ascii char 160 to ascii char 20. What are
> the files to modify ? How ?
>
> Is there a problem to change next ht://Dig version to let the parser
> convert &nbsp to a space ?
> Is it long and/or difficult ?

My solution was to set the locale, but apparently that didn't do the
trick on your system. I'm really not sure why. Geoff's solution
was to patch the source. It's a trivial fix: just change the 160 on
htdig/SGMLEntities.cc line 34 to a 32 (20 is the hexadecimal value of
a space, not decimal), and recompile, reinstall htdig, and reindex.

The change is a bit different in version 3.2, as the SGML decoding has
changed, but it should be simple there too. I don't think we want to
make this a permanent change in the distributed source, though, because
it may have some undesirable consequences for some users. Of course,
it's open for discussion.