[htdig] Attention RPM users - quick poll

Subject: [htdig] Attention RPM users - quick poll
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 14:38:40 PDT

Hi, folks. I need to get a feel for who out there is using the RPM
packages of ht://Dig, and what problems you've encountered. The reason
is that a surprisingly high number of users have been installing the
wrong version of the RPM, i.e. one not built for their version of Linux,
and as a result have been complaining of all sorts of mysterious problems.

These problems have sometimes been very tricky to track down, and have
taken a lot of my time and sometimes Geoff's, before we realize the
cause of the problems. Problems like locales not working, core dumps,
and all sorts of strange run time problems can result from installing
the wrong RPM version. I thought the README made it clear which version
you should install, but evidently not, given the number if times problems
like this have arisen. Often we don't even know until many e-mails have
been exchanged that the user is even using the RPM version rather than
a local build from the sources.

So, I'd like all users of the htdig RPMs on the list to please respond
to this quick poll. This is important, as I need to gauge how much
these are used, and what level of success folks have had with them.
I'm starting to get the impression that the RPMs are more trouble than
they're worth, and may decide no longer to support them unless this poll
convinces me otherwise.

1) Which RPM did you install? (htdig version AND build - e.g. libc5,
   glibc, glibc21) The WHOLE file name of the RPM is sufficient.
   e.g. htdig-3.1.3-2glibc.i386.rpm

1a) If the command "rpm -qi htdig" does not list Gilles Detillieux as
    the Packager, who is listed?

1b) If the command "rpm -qi htdig" does not list a host in the
    scrc.umanitoba.ca domain as Build Host, what is listed?

2) On which Linux distribution did you install it? (brand name and version,
   e.g. Red Hat Linux 6.0/Intel)

3) Where did you obtain the RPM?
   _ htdig.org web site
   _ contrib.redhat.com ftp site
   _ Red Hat mirror site, specify: _________
   _ SCRC web site
   _ other, specify: _________

4) Where did you find instructions on obtaining and/or installing the RPM?
   _ htdig.org web site (files/binaries/README.RPMS.txt)
   _ contrib.redhat.com ftp site
   _ Red Hat mirror site, specify: _________
   _ SCRC web site (htdig/rpms/README or Announce.txt)
   _ other, specify: _________
   _ instructions? what instructions?

5) Did the instructions make it clear which RPM you should install?

6) What suggestions do you have to make the instructions more clear?

Please pass this questionnaire on to others you know who are using htdig
from an RPM and who are not on the list, e.g. people to whom you've
recommended the htdig RPM, or who've recommended it to you.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.