Re: [htdig] htdig-3.1.5 +prune_parent_dir_href patch version 0.0

Subject: Re: [htdig] htdig-3.1.5 +prune_parent_dir_href patch version 0.0
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 09:24:03 PDT

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> Host issues are a bit tricky. Someone proposed an "signature" method for
> adding server aliases, but it also has not been tried. This would probably
> need to be an option since it might misidentify "duplicate" servers.

Yes, I think all duplicate elimination algorithms should be selectable
by config attributes, just in case they pose problems and need to be
turned off. That would go for server signatures, MD5 document signatures,
and device/inode signatures for local files, if that were to be reinserted
in the code. Actually, I think the main reason the local device/inode
duplicate detection had been taken out of the code to begin with in the
early 3.2 development was because it wasn't optional, and it was feared
it would cause problems for some. There are probably enough people who
do use it that it would be worth putting back in, even if we do add MD5
support as well, because for local files the device/inode lookup is much
quicker.