Re: [htdig] Small db.docs.index.work files.

Subject: Re: [htdig] Small db.docs.index.work files.
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 16:41:51 PDT

At 6:53 PM -0400 5/8/00, Terry Witherspoon wrote:
>I've been running a search against about 100 sites. The search
>runs for about 45 hours before succesfully shutting down. At the
>[snip]
>Usually htmerge takes an hour or so to run..In this case it's
>taking about 20 minutes. ANy insight is welcome. Thanks, tw

 From what you've said, my guess is that your databases are very
large. So if htmerge is only taking 20 minutes and you don't get a
useful db.docs.index file out, my guess is that htmerge is dying
while producing the word database.

I would make sure you have enough disk space for the sorting and also
enough RAM/swap for this as well. It's unusual that you aren't
getting any sort of error message, but I would monitor disk space and
RAM consumption as you run the merge.